Some cleaners and disinfectants can actually cause the radioactive iodine to become airborne. Then your cleanup efforts just had the opposite effect–spreading the contamination from a small area to a larger one. Bleach and acidic cleaners are both well known to cause radioactive iodine to volatilize (become gases and become airborne). Many household cleaners contain bleach. From sanitary wipes, to cleansers to drop-in toilet tank cleaners, bleach is everywhere.
NEVER USE BLEACH OR BLEACH CONTAINING PRODUCTS TO CLEAN AN AREA THAT MAY CONTAIN RADIOACTIVE IODINE CONTAMINATION
So what do you do to safely remove Radioactive Iodine (I131) from your homes? Use only a radioactive decontaminant made to clean I131, Bind-It™. Only Bind-It™ is proven safe and effective for routine use, Bind-It™ is used by leading hospitals and veterinary nuclear medicine clinics for remove radioactive contamination.